Top 10 Natural Remedies For Sinus Pain or Sinus Headache:
Sinus pressure can become unbearable at times, try these quick remedies to relieve yourself
1. Nasal Irrigation
- According to Spencer C. Payne, MD, an associate professor of Otolaryngology, at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville “There is a lot of debate about which sinus pain remedies work and what has been proven, but saline spray and washes like the neti pot are indisputable,”.
- A saline wash would dissolve the mucus and then wash it out from the nose. Going by the words of Dr. Payne, “Saline washes have been studied and proven to be effective, and should be the first line of defense against sinusitis,”
- This helps to clear any nasal congestion due to common cold and allergies that may trigger sinus pain.
2. Go for saunaSteam can keep the sinuses lubricated and prevent clogging. “Sprinkle a few drops of eucalyptus or menthol in the shower and steam up your bathroom,” suggests Dr. Graham, D, MPH, an internist at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City and assistant professor at the Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine .“A hot, steamy shower or bath can also help to loosen up mucus and debris that is stuck inside your nose,” recommends Sam S. Rizk, MD, a reputed ear, nose, and throat specialist and facial plastic surgeon from New York.
3. Try bromelainBromelain, a protein extracted from the pineapple fruit, is a popular health supplement these days. “Bromelain appears to be beneficial and helps reduce swelling in the nasal passages,” Dr. Graham opines. We would still suggest you have a word with your doctor before trying this therapy. Though bromelain is absolutely safe, in case you are taking medications for any other condition, we just want to be sure it doesn’t interact with those and create health complications. If your physician prescribes some particular dosage do follow those instructions strictly.
4. Spice it upAccording to Graham, spices like hot peppers, mustard, curry, horseradish, and wasabi work wonders to decongest the blocked sinuses. If you are fond of spices, now you have a therapeutic reason to pamper your taste buds.
5. Ban the Allergens:Those who suffer from sinus problems are prone to allergies. Allergies can aggravate the sinus pain. One of the latest guidelines from the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery necessitates allergy-proofing your home as the basic step to treating sinus. You can start by eliminating the dust mites and using an air purifier. You can opt for beddings that have allergen-barriers. We all love our furry babies and it’s going to break our hearts, but keeping our puppies and kittens out of the bedroom, or at least the beds would help keep the threat of nasal allergies at bay.
6. Drink Your Way to HealthDrinking fluids at regular intervals throughout the day is one easy way to avert a sinus headache. But don’t consume excessive quantities of caffeine or alcohol, as that will increase the water imbalance and lead to more complications. The moment you start experiencing sinusitis symptoms grab a tall glass of water or fresh fruit juice. Drinking 8 glasses of water is a must according to all doctors, but if the H2O gets boring, add some herbs and fruits to it to give it a tangy flavor.
7. Blow Hot and Cold“You can use a warm compress to help keep the nasal tissues moist," suggests Dr. Rizk, "Or, fill a deep bowl or pot with steaming water and place your face over it with a towel around your head to breathe the steam in.” However, exercise some caution before trying this home remedy, don’t land up with severe burns. It is advisable to alternatively use the warm and cold compresses. This practice, in many cases, has proved to be the best sinus medicine.
8. Say No To DrugsI know we look for a lighting fast treatment and a super-quick recovery, but using antibiotics whimsically takes a toll on our natural resistance to illnesses and infections. Again, contrary to popular belief, antibiotics are not a remedy for sinus infections. "Less than two percent of these infections are bacterial," says Dr. Payne, a medical practitioner. The American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery guidelines state that your physician may suggest a seven-day watching or waiting period before he recommends antibiotics. This is to test the immunity of your body and to check if your body can ward off infections naturally. Avoid pumping antibiotics in your body instead eat a balanced diet to build the antibodies in your body and stay healthy.
9. Say Yes to Humidity!A humidifier helps to nullify the harmful effects of dry weather. Clean the humidifier before using to make sure it doesn’t become the breeding ground for mold allergies. According to Dr. Satish Govidaraj, a practitioner of Otolaryngology and Neurosurgery at Mount Sinai Hospital in NYC, a dirty tub can affect the health of those who suffer from mold allergies inversely. Further, keep an eye on the level of humidity in your room as it should be between 35 and 50%.
10. Chicken Soup for the Soul!The therapeutic benefits of a hot bowl of chicken soup are infinite. It is the best home remedy for cough and cold. The goodness of the golden warm liquid can work wonders to boost your immunity and relieve the sinus pain. You got to believe in the wisdom of your grannies next time you are unwell.
When to Call the doctor?Prolonged sinus can turn excruciating and call for more aggressive treatment other than natural remedies. In Dr. Rizk’s words, “If the sinus pain does not improve with over-the-counter medication, your doctor can perform a CT scan of the nose and sinuses to look for anatomical blockages that can be treated surgically, such as a deviated nasal septum or nasal polyps”. If sinus pressure lasts for more than a week along with high fever you must not delay your visit to your ENT specialist’s office any longer.
We know many of our friends and subscribers at Fashionlady who struggle with this recurring problem and often send us queries on how to relieve sinus pressure. We, through this extensively researched article, have tried to include everything one can possibly do to relieve themselves from sinus pressure within the comforts of their home. Do let us know if you find this article informative and helpful.